Administering 360° Questionnaires using the KPMG Interface
Welcome to the Thornhill 360-degree feedback questionnaire process. The following is a check list of steps you may need to take to ensure we are able to support you fully. The agreement between KPMG and Thornhill is that KPMG have an interface that allows KPMG staff to manage almost the entire process on their own. The pricing agreement requires this high level of self administration.
Please follow the steps set out below:
Discuss your requirements and agree on a contract with Thornhill. For all admin related matters, please use firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thornhill has created a customised interface for KPMG for the administration of 360-degree feedback questionnaires. Anita Buys and Preeya Naidu in the Johannesburg KPMG office manage this process for KPMG, so please discuss your requirements with them. Each KPMG administrator is given a log-in and temporary password to access his/her administration. For all **standard **administrations, you can select questionnaire items, monitor the progress of your administration, resend undelivered emails, as well as generate and print reports.
If you have special requirements that are not catered for in the standard options available, then Thornhill may assist with developing the questionnaire and customising the report. This will take time and there will be an extra cost involved, so this should be discussed and agreed upon prior to the commencement of the project.
Also, please note that any additional administrative requirements, not included in the original quote, will attract the extra administration hourly fee.
Please complete the client information Excel spreadsheet and return it to email@example.com. The client administrator indicated on this spreadsheet will be given a username and temporary password.
Please note: we require the completed client information sheet to set up the project, so please send this to firstname.lastname@example.org without delay.
If you are doing this for the first time, please print and sign the confidentiality clause, and fax it to 086 609 0433 (South Africa only) or scan and email to email@example.com.
Please check with your IT department to ensure that your firewalls, spam filters and email scanners allow Thornhill emails to be delivered. (Sometimes group mailings are blocked as spam. Emails are sent from the server www.thornhill.co.za.)
Please send us one complete list of participants and their respondents on an Excel spreadsheet (four columns, in the order: first name, last name, email address, and category of respondents (e.g. Managers, peers/colleagues, direct reports). “Participants” refer to the people receiving feedback, and “respondents” to those giving them feedback.
Please note: it is important to choose respondents carefully – select those who have worked with the participant sufficiently to observe him/her accurately.
Please ensure that all information is as correct and complete as possible before sending. We understand that occasionally last minute emergencies necessitate changes, but errors delay the administration and create the risk of miscommunication.
Thornhill creates the administration on the database according to the information provided in the client information spreadsheet. Thornhill will contact you once this has been done.
Please go to www.thornhill.co.za. Near the bottom of the page, on the right, is a box for logging in. Login with your username and password. Please note the log-in is case sensitive and you will be asked to change the temporary password the first time you log in. Please make a note of your username and password for future use.
Once you have logged on to the KPMG interface, you will find a page listing all KPMG projects to which you have access. Click on the “Open” button next to the relevant administration.
Please check the name of this project as this heading will appear on all emails, questionnaires and reports for participants in this administration.
KPMG Interface Step 1: Design questionnaire
This enables you to select questions for your questionnaire from the question library. Click in the boxes to the left of the questions you want included. It is also possible to create new questions:
- Select “NEW Questionnaire Library” (top right of screen)
- Choose to create a new questionnaire by clicking on ‘New questionnaire’ OR choose to view/edit existing questionnaires.
- Important note: You should only edit a questionnaire if it has not yet been used for an active administration. Editing an existing questionnaire will overwrite previous versions. Changes to a questionnaire that already has responses will render those responses meaningless and could lead to report errors and inconsistencies. If the questionnaire is in use or has been used previously you should at most only correct spelling or grammar.
Create a new questionnaire
- After clicking the ‘New questionnaire’ button, you will need to enter the name of your questionnaire. You may also add any descriptive notes if necessary. Click ‘Next»’ to proceed.
- Step 1 allows you to select items that have been previously used are are saved in the KPMG questionnaire library. Respondents will be asked to indicate their level of agreement with these items according to the following scale:
- Strongly disagree
- Neither disagree nor agree
- Strongly agree
- No opportunity to observe
- Once you have selected the desired items from the list, click ‘Next»’ to proceed to Step 2.
- In step 2, you can add new items to the questionnaire. As in Step 1, these items will be displayed with a rating scale in order for respondents to indicate their level of agreement with the items. Please click ‘Next»’ to proceed to the final step.
- The final step allows you to edit layout and instructions. You can also add comment boxes to your questionnaire, or delete the existing comment boxes if required. Click the + sign at the bottom right of each element to edit, add, or delete items. When you are ready to save your changes, please ensure that you click ‘Done’, otherwise your changes will be lost.
- Thirty to forty questions constitutes a good questionnaire – shorter is better when inviting written comments on each question. Overly-long questionnaires become annoying for respondents and add little value.
- The questions you select from this list will appear as questions with a rating scale.
- If you require a different rating scale than the standard one described above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember that any non-standard special requirements will take time to implement and will involve additional costs.
View/Edit existing questionnaire
- To view or edit an existing questionnaire, locate the questionnaire in the list and then click on it. As indicated, you should only edit an existing questionnaire with great care. If the questionnaire is in use, or has been used for previous administrations/programmes, only make minor changes to the spelling or grammar of the questionnaire.
KPMG Interface Step 2: Additional questions for individual participants
This allows you to select different questionnaire items for individual participants. Once you have clicked on “Assign questions” you will be taken to a page listing the names of participants. Click on the “Edit” button next to the relevant participant. From the “Optional Question Assignments” page, please select the additional questions for that particular participant.
Thornhill provides draft emails which will be sent to participants and respondents. Please customise the text so that it accurately explains the purpose of your project and how the feedback will be used. Please return the amended draft emails to email@example.com at least two working days before the first email is to be sent.
You will be sent two test emails, one as if you were a participant and one as if you were a respondent. Please carefully read the emails and test the system, by clicking on the URL, to make sure that it is the correct questionnaire, and reflects exactly what you want your participants and respondents to see. Then please confirm or amend to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thornhill will not send emails without approval from the client administrator.
- Please make sure you are happy with the wording, spelling, formatting, signatory, headings and questionnaire before approving the test emails, as this is exactly what participants and respondents will receive.
Thornhill will send the emails to all participants and respondents on the agreed dates.
KPMG Interface Step 3: Re-send undelivered emails
Once Thornhill has sent the emails, please check your administration for undelivered emails by clicking on the “Undelivered emails” button. If a number of emails to the same person (in the “Recipient” column) have failed, where that person is a respondent for a number of different participants, each email needs to be resent to the correct address.
To correct an address, click on the “Resend” button. Enter the correct address and click “Send email”. The system will resend the email and it will be removed from the list of undelivered emails.
- A “Hard Bounce” means the email could not be delivered due to an error in the email address.
- A “Soft Bounce” means the email could not be delivered due to the recipient’s inbox being full. You can simply resend the email to the same address.
The phrase “Bounce (Details not yet available)” means the email address is incorrect.
Please track the progress of the responses by checking on a regular basis. We will send the reminders on the agreed dates, but if you notice anyone who has not responded, please contact them separately in case they are not receiving or recognising Thornhill emails. As the response deadline approaches, decide whether to follow up participants and respondents who have not provided feedback.
KPMG Interface Step 4: View respondent status / generate reports
Select the button “Respondents/Reports”. Names which appear in red indicate respondents who have yet to submit their feedback. Names which appear in black indicate respondents who have provided feedback.
Well before you need to print reports, please do a test print to make sure your equipment is compatible. You will require the following: access to the internet, a Thornhill log-in to access the administration, Adobe Acrobat, and a colour printer.
KPMG Interface Step 4: View respondent status / generate reports
When you are ready to generate reports and there are more than three responses, please go to the “View Respondents” page. Select the report type from the drop down menu and click on the “generate all reports” button. Click on “download report” next to each participant’s name, and you will be given the option to either open the report or save it to a file on your computer. You can also generate single reports by clicking on the “Generate” button to the right of the participant’s name.
KPMG Interface Step 5: Edit text comment responses
If you need to correct the spelling in comments written by respondents, please click on the “Edit textual responses” button. Then click on the “Edit” button for the relevant participant and, once you have made the changes, please remember to click on the “Save changes” button.
**Please Note: **the editing of comments is not to be taken lightly. These comments have been written by respondents who have been assured of their anonymity. Any tampering with or changing the meaning of the comments is a serious matter.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us at email@example.com.
Revised 16 June 2009