BUSINESS DEVELOPER (Full time; 6-month trial period)
The purpose of Thornhill is to help people become more effective and fulfilled at work through providing technology-supported methods for personal development. We provide customisable online multi-rater feedback and selection systems with accompanying consulting and coaching services, mostly for the purposes of management development. We are excited about helping people to learn about themselves, understand how others see them, and become better leaders. Thornhill combines professional organisational psychology insight with innovative software systems to offer both standard and bespoke solutions to organisations, business schools, consultants and executive coaches.
Although our core business is 360° feedback, we do offer a wide range of other customised services. We have successfully administered over 514 000 questionnaires since 2003, helping thousands of leaders receive feedback in ways that lead to personal growth and more effective performance.
The Thornhill team is small, but consists of a diverse mix of project managers, psychologists, coaches, consultants and software developers. Thornhill has an excellent track record and we pride ourselves on providing professional, ethical, prompt, efficient, and courteous client service. This is an opportunity to express your talent as a key player, while helping to make the world a better place, with the convenience of working from home.
Why work for Thornhill?
- Excellence: In the past we have demonstrated growth by relying almost solely on word of mouth. Clients are impressed with our ability to deliver brilliant service at a very competitive price.
- Changing lives: A well-designed 360° feedback process with effective coaching can transform a leader.
- Social conscience: Thornhill donates 10% of our profits to a worthy cause. We funded the start-up of BizSchool (www.bizschool.org.za), a project that equips young people, particularly school leavers, to enter the world of work with the attitudes, skills and knowledge required to excel and be fulfilled.
- New possibilities: We are always on the look-out for new ideas. We encourage feedback on direction or ideas about new products from everyone in the team.
- Great team: The team work well together. We treat each other with mutual respect and take shared responsibility for excellence.
About the Business Developer role
Thornhill is looking for a self-motived, ambitious and talented Business Developer to join our creative and friendly team in Johannesburg as soon as possible, to grow our client base and extend our business into current clients. S/he will report to the Chief Executive Officer. For this role, we are looking for an individual with experience working in organisations and in the field of human resources, management development, or consulting.
The successful candidate will be a key player in a team focused on results. We work hard and have fun innovating. This is a great opportunity for a strong relationship builder and sales star with a passion for people development.
The Business Developer will be an ambitious sales professional who consistently beats targets. S/he must be a driven self-starter; a tech-savvy professional with great people and project skills, and the ability to analyse a potential client’s needs and work with our team to scope and sell a solution.
The successful candidate will focus on building and managing Thornhill’s clients. The Business Developer would be expected to set up meetings with potential and existing clients, listen to their needs, advise them about Thornhill’s products and services, liaise with the Thornhill team, and work on business development activities.
S/he would receive a monthly base salary and there would be an attractive incentive arrangement.
New Business Development/Sales:
- Achieve and surpass monthly and quarterly sales targets
- Identify and generate leads through networking, events, and cold calling
- Manage the full business development/sales cycle including prospecting, contacting, nurturing and closing deals
- Make presentations, negotiate and close deals with support from senior staff
- Upsell Thornhill’s products and services to existing clients
- Work closely with the rest of the team to develop and improve on best practices and processes
- Run targeted events (e.g. workshops) to reach potential clients
- Work collaboratively with the Thornhill team to devise strategies that meet the client’s needs and budget
- Work with project managers to manage client relationships throughout the sales cycle and beyond
- Manage client contract renewals where necessary
- Proven success in sales/business development, in the context of human resources/management development
- Absolute integrity and commitment to the development and thriving of people
- A drive and tenacity to develop completely new sales
- Ability to network and generate new leads and relationships, and systematically convert those leads into deals
- An understanding of our products and services, and ability to sell appropriately according to the needs of clients
- Sufficient attention to detail and meticulous accuracy not to let clients down
- Sufficient strategic and problem-solving ability to help clients craft creative and effective solutions to their needs
- A commitment to Thornhill’s values
- Reasonable level of comfort with information technology
- Clear, confident, professional and effective English communicator – both written and verbal
- Strong people skills and a nice person to join a nice team
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university or equivalent experience
- Experience in bringing in new revenue sources for a business
- 3-5 years sales/business development experience, specifically selling services
- Proven success managing a full sales cycle
- Direct experience working on client accounts
- Home office, drivers license and use of motor car
If you fit the requirements and share our values (www.thornhill.co.za/wordpress/why-thornhill/), please send a CV, cover letter and clear salary expectation/indication of your most recent salary to email@example.com. Your cover letter should indicate your interest in working for Thornhill, and applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We will be assessing applications and scheduling interviews on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible, explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Please also send any questions about the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. If you do not receive any feedback, please presume that your application has been unsuccessful.